Monday, October 15, 2007

Nathan Jacowitz on Office Space.

I thought this movie was very funny, but had some realistic lessons to teach about organizational communication. I think that all models of communication can be found in it, but the one that stood out the most to me was actually the Information transfer model as manifested in Bill Lundburgs Character. When he talks to people in the movie he is not expecting or wanting a response. He just walks up and states some info and then leaves. It seems like a one way transfer for him because he doesn't stick around long enough to here feed back from his employees because he simply doesn't care. A question I have is are there people out there, weather bosses or employees that actually act like Bill Lundburg? I think the answer is yes. I think that it would be hard to find them out side of the hyper office style upper management working environment. In this environment however I would say they are quite common. I think this aspect of the movie, of Bill Lundburg's personality and of the information transfer model relate closely to the section on "Dialogue as empathic conversation" in chapter 2 because they are fairly devoid of trying to understand what someones else's feed back is. (Or world is like from there perspective)

No comments: