Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Robert Liu: Scenarios

Scenario Practice:

Before reading this article I did not realize that we go though scenario planning every day. When something comes up unexpectedly we have to plan around that and decide what the best thing to do is. When we know that something is about to come up in the near future we have to plan accordingly to make sure that it is executed proficiently. Being a college student, the most important scenario for me to plan is for the future and by reading this article I have a better understanding and a more structured method to ensure a good plan. I now know that I have to ask myself the right questions that will lead me to what I want to achieve. Also I have to realize the predetermined elements and critical uncertainties that are in my life. With that I have to come up with driving forces that would motivate me and help me along my way. Lastly, for the sake of planning, I have to put all of the questions, the predetermined elements and critical uncertainties into realistic possibilities that I would want in my life. I believe that with the realization of these every day practices, I can adapt and benefit from changes and have a better plan for anything in the future whether 5, 10, or 15 years from now.

How to Build Scenarios:

This article gives us an in depth structure on how to execute a plan for the future. This shows that that we have to be aware of everything that is going on around us to be able to determine the best scenario for the future. With the help of ‘driving forces’ we can see how social dynamics, economic issues, politics, and technology issues can change throughout our lives. Their primary example is one of the future. They explore all possible scenarios and how each driving force can affect each other. The last paragraph says it all: “The power of scenario planning…can help us understand the uncertainties that lie before us, and what they mean.” This is important because we have to realize that we have control and we have to know what is coming in order to be effective and successful.

No comments: