Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Chapter 2 and 3 -Lisbeth Cervantes

Chapter 2 Defining Organizational Communication



Chapter 2 talks about defining what organization communication is . As a leader on campus, I know how challanging it can be get students organized into a group and communicate with each other. One of the problems I have found is that a lot of students like to interrupt others when talking. I have been guilty of this myself, but being aware of this and listening instead of interrupting can be challanging at times when one is used to communicating in such of a manner.

I can't speak for others but I know that when I interrupt people sometimes it is only because I have a thought and I don't want to lose it, sometimes though, it's best just to listen because the thought that you have may not even be related to what the speakers point is.

Chapter two talks about a spectrum and how at one end of the spectrum is discussion wherein people seek to dominate others while at the other end is dialogue. There are 3 levels of dialouge, it can be a an equitable transaction, an empathic conversation, and dialogue as real meeting. In oreder to have a converstation with out interuptions I think it's important to practice dialouge as an equitable transaction. Communication is this way allows us to have a communication perspective in which all participants have the ability to voice their opinions and perspectives.



Chapter 3 Three Early Perspectives on Organizations and Communications

Chapter 3 reminds me of the place I currently work at. I work at a public relations firm that represents technology and health care. When I first applied for the job it was about a year before they called me. I thought they were really upscale and had a very professional way of dressing there. Once I got the job, I was wrong. Everyone at my job is allowed to wear what ever they want. We don't have to dress in a business suit, unless our clients come in then of course we want to protray a good image. But the CEO of the firm, who has offices in Boston, Stockholm, London, and San Francisco, wears flip flops and a t-shirt to work. Everyone is very young looking and looks like they are fresh out of college. But we all do our jobs. There is no one hanging over our head to make sure we get to work on time and make sure we do our work. In fact people stay over time in case they have to and don't get paid over time.

Chapter 3 says that many employees are motivated as much by symbolic rewards as they are by their paychecks. I think one of the rewards is that we get to wear what ever we want, there's always food in the kitchen, we get out early during the summer on Fridays, and holidays are frequent. As long as we put in the 8 hrs and do our work the CEO trusts his employees to do what they are supposed to do. My boss views his employees and runs his companies with a looser, more empathetic view of employees as valuable human resources.

I can see how this approach allows the employees to be creative, adapt to change, and satisfy the individual's needs and motivations which falls under the human resources approach to organizational communication.

No comments: