Tuesday, October 16, 2007

chapter 2 and 3-LaPorche Carlisle

Ch. 2
In chapter 2 two of the concepts that stuck out to me were macro and micro perspectives. The macro side is where the company sees the employees to be molded or controlled based on how many constraints placed on them. And the micro is where employees communicate to shape the organization. I found those interesting because I could relate to the macro side and the micro. Working where I work now a person would think that the constraints would be faded since I do work in a family business. In reality the pressure is on more so because I am considered an owner and my example rubs off on non-family employees. For example there is a policy that is enforced about greeting each member of the office when walking in for the day. I was told that when this is not done it sets a morale that is negative and may reflect unprofessional. So instead of coming in going to my office it is more positive for the atmosphere of the office to say hello. This may not be so bad if the attitudes of everyone around me was more positive and direct to what is enforced.

Ch. 3
In chapter 3 the human relations approach as introduced an I think it has significant meaning to how workplaces may or may not function. Part of the definition was that people want to feel united and together. Feeling wanted and apart of something may be good for the work environment but when people feel too comfortable with the managers, for example, it may distort the lines of communication that should or should not be crossed. In my experience as a supervisor I noticed when I talked to cashiers all the time, or went to lunch with them it made them feel like they were on to something that other cashiers we rent. They felt like when I asked or instructed them to do a certain job they had the option to do it later. That was my fault as a supervisor because I opened the lines of communication that should only be crossed with caution when working with the people I was working with.

No comments: