Monday, October 15, 2007

Heather Hooper on "Office Space"

a) The movie office space is so perfect for this course. The concept I want to bring up is how "Milton" the red-headed guy with the red stapler is treated. He is pushed aside, never listened to and overall treated like he does not exist to his boss and co-worker's, unless thier boss need's something from him. I found this concept in Chapter 2, when "Dialogue as Real Meaning" is discussed. The book say's, "Therefore one's performance of empathy may be false or even a means to a personal strategic ends." I thought this quote out of our book; Situational Organizational Communication, had a lot to do with the film office space.
The boss fakes empathy for Milton and his red stapler to get the work done, milton is an object to the company,not a person. But we all know in the end Milton get's his revenge!

b) The quote I love the most from the movie is when Peter Gibbons says, "It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now." This correlate's to the book in chapter 3, while scientific manegment is discussed.

No comments: